Tuesday 16 October 2012

TORQUE: The Blurb

Today, I have been working on the script and the Marketing Pack for the theatre. 

One of the things the theatre has asked of me is a short blurb describing my work in less that 150 words. I love writing things like this... there's something really fun about working out the balance of giving enough, but not too much information, whilst also making it sound enticing and sexy. I also like asking questions of the audience. This one has been the trickiest I've had to write purely because the script is still in development. I don't want to provide a synopsis because sod's law is the story will change by the time it gets on stage, so I've written it with the basic concept in mind:


"There are hurdles in every relationship. Some can be soared over. Some cause you to trip and fall flat on your face. Some hurdles seem so intimidating that you decide it’s not worth even trying.

A man is deaf. A woman can hear. Is it possible to understand someone on a fundamental level, without being able to have a conversation? What secrets might you tell if you knew the other person couldn’t hear a word you were saying? TORQUE is a story about finding a connection beyond words.

Both spoken and in British Sign Language, TORQUE is a play in development looking at the skin-deep nature of communication in a technology-centric culture, inclusion, and how sometimes when faced with hurdles, you just have to take a running start and jump."

(Thank you to Rachel, who kindly gave up half her lunch break to help me put words to page!)


So what do you think? Would you read this and think: "Oo, that sounds interesting, I'd like to see that"? Feedback welcome, I still have time to make changes.

Update on the script: We are at 22 pages, which is a little too long as I need to keep it between 15-20 minutes in performance length. It's at the stage now where it could be rehearsed and performed and be a nice, hopefully interesting, piece of theatre. It's not what I want it to be yet, but I've still got research to do and (I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times) I can't wait to get in rehearsals so that the actors and director can bring something new to it.

But more on that tomorrow. Right now I have to sort out the washing, shower and get ready for the afternoon/evening shift at work. Grumble grumble.



No comments:

Post a Comment